Thursday 31 January 2013

Fully dressed classics + some pikeflies

Lately I've been tying mostly classic flies for atlantic salmon. I tie them with fishing in my mind. Some variations for different pools etc. I have huge expectations for Silver Doctor pattern because Heikki got so much action on a hair wing variaton of it in the last summer. Here's my version of the classic:

Silver Doctor


Hook: Mustad SL73UBLN
Thread: Sheer 14/0 white
Tag: Oval silver tinsel (xs) and yellow silk floss
Tail: Golden pheasant crest and tippet
Belt: Red wool
Rib: Oval silver tinsel (s)
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Underwing: Golden pheasant tippet
Throat hackle: Blue cock and teal
Wing: Red, yellow, blue and brown goose shoulder feather and amherst pheasant tail feather, mallard on top.
Cheeks: Jungle cock nail feathers
Roof: Golden pheasant crest
Head: Thread and red varnish



The Green Highlander is one of my favorite patterns as well as the Silver Doctor and I caught some trout and char on it last summer. I had it tied as a veeeeery simple hair wing variation on a heavy treble and might take them with me next time also. Anyway I thought it would be nice to add them to my fly box as a fully dressed, married wing version also. This is not even close to the original recipe, but at least the colors are the same.

The Green Highlander


Hook: Mustad SL73UBLN
Thread: Sheer 14/0 white
Tag: Oval silver tinsel (xs) and yellow silk floss
Tail: Golden pheasant crest
Belt: Black ostrich herl
Rib: Oval silver tinsel (s)
Body: 1/3 yellow silk floss, 2/3 green seal fur
Body hackle: Green cock
Throat hackle: Yellow cock
Underwing: Golden pheasant tippet
Wing: Yellow, orange and green goose shoulder, amherst pheasant and golden pheasant tail feather, mallard on top
Cheeks: Jungle cock nail feathers
Roof: Golden pheasant crest
Head: Thread and black varnish






I was scrolling around for nice patterns for slow current from Risto Asikainen's book, The Swimming Salmon Fly and came across a classic Dee pattern, The White Winged Akroyd. I have seen a lot of pictures of it before but never have I thought of tying it. There was my chance. I had just found out that I have some white turkey tail feather for the wing so it was a perfect timing. I think this is quite close to the original recipe also. 

The White Winged Akroyd


Hook: Partridge Bartleet traditional
Thread: Sheer 14/0 white
Tag: Oval silver tinsel (xs)
Tail: Golden pheasant topping and tippet
Rib: Oval silver tinsel (s) for yellow part and flat silver tinsel for black part
Body: ½ yellow silk floss, ½ black silk floss
Body hackle: Yellow cock for yellow part and black cock for black part.
Throat hackle: Natural guinea fowl
Wing: White turkey tail feather
Head: Thread and black varnish








A few days ago I was tying Silver Doctors and I forgot to tie the GP tippet to the tail of one fly. I noticed it after attaching the underwing and did not want to tie the body all over again. I decided to make up a new pattern for the body. I tied in a black cock feather for the hackle and made a wing from amherst pheasant. Some flashy silver in the body and black and white wing. I will try it out next summer. The underwing gives a nice glow from under the white parts of the main wing when wet.

The Silver Amherst



Hook: Mustad SL73UBLN
Thread: Sheer 14/0 white
Tag: Oval silver tinsel (xs) and yellow silk floss
Tail: Golden pheasant crest
Belt: Red wool
Rib: Oval silver tinsel (s)
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Underwing: Golden pheasant tippet
Throat hackle: Black cock
Wing: Amherst pheasant
Head: Thread and black varnish






Today we were visiting Ruotoshop with Heikki again. There was Jani Mäkeläinen from Vision promoting their new products and tying some flies for pike. I started tying pike flies too and these are what I came up with. Have to give these a go as soon as the sea gets free from ice... Hopefully soon.

Slinky, yellow and red


Hook: Partridge universal predator
Thread: Giorgio Benecchi 8/0 white
Tail: Yellow fuzzy fiber
Body: Uni Axxel rainbow
Wing: Yellow and red fuzzy fiber
Head: Sticker eyes and UV-glue






Slinky, green and black


Hook: Partridge universal predator
Thread: Giorgio Benecchi 8/0 white
Tail: Fluoro-green fuzzy fiber and a lot of pearlescent flash
Wing: Fluoro-green and black fuzzy fiber
Lateral line: Pearlescent Lateral scale
Head: Sticker eyes and UV-glue


 Hollow Deceiver, white and pink

Hook: Partridge universal preadtor
Thread: Giorgio Benecchi 8/0 white
Tail: White and pink cock feathers and pearlescent flash
Body: Uni Axxel rainbow
Wing: White and pink bucktail
Lateral line: Pearlescent Lateral scale
Head: Sticker eyes and UV-glue







We stayed for about 4-5 hours in the shop just chatting and tying flies. A nice way to spend a whole evening. Have to go back there on friday to check out a presentation on saltwater fly fishing by Mika Vainio.

-Niilo









No comments:

Post a Comment