Friday 18 January 2013

Beauly Snow Fly - Step by step

I finally got my order of Mustad hooks today and started tying on them as soon as I got home. I still have to get some Junglefowl for some of the plate winged flies, so I started out with something different. Komagelva has some nice slow flowing pools (and a lot of fast ones too) so I decided I should work on some lively spey style flies. I tied a series of 3 Beauly Snow Flies on #2 Mustad SL73UBLN hooks.

Beauly Snow Fly


Hook: Mustad SL73UBLN
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Rib: Flat silver tinsel and oval silver tinsel
Body hackle: Dark grey heron
Body: Light blue seal fur
Throat hackle: Blue eared pheasant
Wing: A bunch of peacock herls
Collar: Bright orange seal fur


Make a thread base
Tie in the flat silver tinsel for the tag


Wind the tag and lock the tinsel. Don't cut it!

Tie in the oval silver tinsel and the heron. Tie the heron from the tip, so that the longest barbs are in the back.
Dub the body.
Wind the hackle evenly.
Wind the ribs. First the flat tinsel, then the oval goes on the back edge of the flat tinsel.
Tie in the Blue eared pheasant
Wind the throat hackle and force it to face down.
Attach the wing. Do not cut the wing tips even.
Dub a collar from seal fur and brush it puffy.
Make the head and finish the fly. Add a drop of varnish. I prefer clear for this, so the collar won't turn black.
Finished fly from front.

I have always liked the looks of the Beauly Snow Fly and have wanted to try one for a long time. I didn't have the materials to tie this for summer 2012, but now I found some good quality heron that was small enough for a #2 hook which is the largest one allowed on Komagelva. Tomorrow I'm gonna tie at least Lady Carolines and Green Butts.

-Niilo

No comments:

Post a Comment