Tuesday 29 January 2013

Þýsk Snælda - Step by step

Snælda is the first fly I caught a salmon. In fact it is the only fly I have ever caught salmon with. Those facts make it a special fly for me. Last year I had it tied only on plastic tubes that were very light. That made it impossible to get deep with a floating line. The wide body tied on a already wide tube were too much for the strong current so it stuck mostly in the surface. I found out that Esmond Drury treble hooks are quite heavy for their size so I decided to tie the Snældas on them too. The Snælda is a simplified version of the Frances shrimp by Peter Deane. It was originated in Iceland by a unknown (atleast for me) fly dresser. It is often tied on brass tubes to gain weight, but because of the fact that the river where I will be heading, doesn't allow added weight on flies, I will tie it on a treble hook in addition to the plastic tube ones. The Snælda can be tied in many color variations but I like the Þýsk Snælda (German Snælda) the most. The name comes from the color of the tail. It resembles the German flag.

Þýsk Snælda

Hook: Esmond Drury treble
Thread: Sheer 14/0 black
Tail: Black, red and yellow bucktail and some flash (optional)
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Body: Black wool or uni yarn
Hackle: Black cock
Head: Thread and black varnish


Make the thread base on the hook
Tie in the black bucktail. Keep them in one branch of the hook
Add some flash under the black bucktail (you can do this before the bucktail)
Tie in the yellow bucktail in another branch.
Then the red bucktail. Keep them separate so the contrasts will be clear.
Cut the excess bucktail and attach the rib and the black yarn.
Form the body. Some like a carrot shape body, I prefer it like a cigar.
Wind the rib.
Pick a hackle feather with the fibers about the length of the body or a little less and tie it in.
Wind the hackle, form the head and finish the fly with a drop of varnish.
Þýsk Snælda ready for fishing.

Now let's just tie them in different sizes and colors if you want. I think this color is enough for me. The Snælda is a really quick fly to tie and even faster if you decide to tie it with a single color tail.

A happy fisherman with the first one!
The fish, the fly and the equipment used to catch it.

 -Niilo
















No comments:

Post a Comment