Tuesday 8 January 2013

Tying flies for Atlantic Salmon

Finally I managed to start my project on salmon flies. This year I'm going to tie mostly hook flies and leave only a few patterns for tubes. I also plan to tie a lot of classic feather wing flies just for fun
and to test their fishability. some patterns just look better on doubles and trebles in my opinion, so I will tie them also.

I had a short session with General Practitioners which I tied with almost exactly the same recipe as Davie McPhail in his video on YouTube. I tied them on Kamasan b270 hooks. they are a heavy wire down eye double series of hooks. Quite a nice looking hook if you ask me.





After the GP:s it was time for a fly called NITRO. I don't really know much about this pattern, but heard it works well in the crystal clear waters of Komagelva, where I will be heading most likely in august. Below is the recipe for the NITRO variation I tied.

Hook: Kamasan b270 #10 And smaller
Body: 2/3 lagartun fl. chartreuse flatbraid, 1/3 black spectra dub
Wing: pearl flashabou
Head: black thread and varnish


I hope it will bring me some nice fish next summer. High hopes!

I also began tying some Black bombers, but after the #6 hooks I felt kinda bored and had to stop. More tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment