Friday 11 January 2013

Doubles, doubles, doubles...

Just finished tying my double hook salmon flies for next summer. Well, I still might tie some more if I get a sudden inspiration somehow. Anyway, I tied series of General Practitioners, Black Bombers and Sarvijaakko's (in olive and brown) on Kamasan b270 double hooks sizes #6-12. The #12 turned out to be quite tricky to tie neatly, but I'm pleased with my work. Let the salmon be the judge.

Recipes for the flies are following:

General Practitioner

Hook: Kamasan b270
Thread: Fl. Orange nylon
Tail: Orange bucktail and 2 strands of krystal flash orange, on top of them golden pheasant tippet and red breast feather
Rib: Oval gold
Body: Orange seals fur
Hackle: Orange coc
Wing: golden pheasant tippet and red breast feather
Head: Thread and varnish

Black Bomber

Hook: Kamasan b270
Thread: Black Sheer 14/0
Antennae: Black cock, stripped and cut to shape
Tail: Black nutria
Rib: Oval silver
Hackle: Black cock
Body: Black Uni yarn
Head: Red Uni yarn

In order  #6 to #12 from the top.





Sarvijaakko (Olive and Brown):

Hook: Kamasan b270
Thread: White Sheer 14/0
Antennae: Cock hackle, stripped and cut to shape
Tail: Nutria
Rib: oval (gold for olive and copper for brown)
Wing: Nutria
Collar hackle: Cock
Head: Lagartun flatbraid, Fl. Chartreuse and Fl. Orange.

First the olive ones. In order #6 to #12 from the top.










And the brown ones:









I tied 3 of each size General Practitioner and Black bomber, and for the Sarvijaakko's I did 8 per size, 2 of each head color and general color.

Now I'm waiting for my order of single hooks to start tying some feather plate winged flies on them.
Should have come today... Maybe tomorrow?

Here's a pic of my fly box at the moment




Getting dangerously excited about the season... Next time I'll be able to cast a rod will be early march on the GoExpo fair in Helsinki. Can't wait to try out some awesome new rods!

-Niilo


No comments:

Post a Comment