Friday 25 January 2013

Rod building. Finally.

I finally got my 15' spey rod project going. I got the blank for the rod about 4 months ago and it has just been gathering dust on my shelf. My friend Heikki has a Vision Siks 13'4" rod with a really comfortable grip setup so I tried to make something like that for this one. It's not quite the same, but fits my hand perfectly. I think that is the main point in a grip anyway. I still need to sand it with a finer sand paper since I only had some 320 paper and it left the grip a bit too choppy. I sanded the grip in my room because there was too cold outside and I couldn't fit the blank in the bathroom. That wasn't such a smart decision. There's cork dust all over the place now even though I have vacuum cleaned my room twice after that. It stays in the air for a long time. Since the blank is white, I thought that black guides and wraps would look quite bad-ass. At first I meant it to be just a tool with no trim wraps, but ended up with some silver ones. Nothing too bling-bling but still something.

I still need to do some wraps again because I'm not fully satisfied with my work. Here are some pics.

Cork rings for the butt.
Foregrip before sanding.
Butt before sanding. Testing with my reel.
Decal and winding check.
Stripper guides with silver trim wraps.
Foregrip
Supporting wraps.
The butt
Foregrip and reel seat.










No comments:

Post a Comment