Sunday 20 January 2013

Accidental shopping and some medicine

Today I visited the new fishing store in Helsinki called Ruoto with Heikki. Only things I was going to buy were a new pair of scissors and some white goose feathers. It didn't quite work out so easy. I ended up spending around 100€. They had some nice amherst and golden pheasant tail feathers and I just had to buy a pair of both. I also bought some peacock wing feathers and grey drake mallard. We spent over 2 hours by just checking out the new store and chatting with the staff.

When I finally got home I started tying some Hugh Falkus's Medicines. Can't figure out a more simple plate winged fly than that, but still it is such a fun fly to tie. Especially when you have good quality materials. I picked up some good mallard for the wing from Ruoto and it was almost too easy to form the wings properly.

Here's the recipe.


Hugh Falkus's Medicine


Hook: Mustad SL73UBLN
Thread: Sheer 14/0 white
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Throat hackle: Light blue cock
Wing: Grey drake mallard (2 layers)
Head: Thread and red varnish


Tomorrow I probably won't have the time to tie flies because of a long day in school and wrestling practice in the evening. On tuesday I am going to my angling clubs meeting that concerns an upcoming rod building class I am probably going to host. If people are interested on the class I will take their orders on rod blanks to add to the order on CTS.

-Niilo

No comments:

Post a Comment